Operated by: People's Law School icon in SVG formatPeople's Law School

Changing your name

Feature image - Changing your name

If you’re getting married or divorced, you may be thinking about changing your legal name. Or maybe you just feel like changing your name. Learn what’s involved in a name change.

“My spouse and I are getting divorced. When we married 21 years ago, I took his last name. My credit cards, bank accounts, and even my driver’s licence are in my married name. On separating, I thought I might have to make some kind of application to change my last name back to my maiden name. But, it turns out I don’t have to — I can just start using my maiden name again.”

– Jacinda, Abbotsford, BC

Headshot of older woman with short brown hair.

What you should know

For a name change that requires you to make an application, here are the steps involved.

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in February 2020
  • Time to read: 5 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Amber van Drielen, One World Law Group

Amber van Drielen, One World Law Group

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.

On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Family relationships in the section on Families + Children.