HomeFamilies + ChildrenSupport & propertyEnforcing support orders and agreements

Enforcing support orders and agreements

Feature image - Enforcing support orders and agreements

Many parents and spouses make support payments they owe under a support order or agreement. Unfortunately, some don’t make their payments. Learn what steps to take to enforce payments owed under a support order or agreement.

“After we separated, my partner followed our separation agreement. He paid child support for both children for two years. Then he suddenly stopped paying after he got into a new relationship. I filed my separation agreement in court and registered with the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program. They’ve collected my child support payments for me every month for the last five years — for free.”

– Irena, Port Alberni, BC

Middle aged woman with brown hair, smiling.

What you should know

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in May 2021
  • Time to read: 6 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Maintenance Enforcement & Locate Services, Ministry of Attorney General

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.

On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Support & property in the section on Families + Children.