Farm workers’ wages

Worker picking fruit in orchard

BC’s main employment standards law sets out rules employers must follow in paying their workers. Some of these rules apply differently to farm workers. Learn your rights around getting paid as a farm worker.

Common questions

Yes. All farm workers who are paid hourly, by salary, or by any other method (other than piece rate, explained below), are entitled to the general minimum wage. As of June 1, 2022, the general minimum wage is $15.65 per hour.

The rules are a little different for farm workers who are paid by piece rate. Here, there are different minimum wage rates for each type of crop.

For more information, see our in-depth coverage.

No, farm workers are not entitled to overtime pay. The law doesn’t limit the hours that farm workers can work, but it does say an employer cannot let a worker work excessive hours or hours that could harm their health or safety.

For more, see our in-depth info on getting paid as a farm worker.

If a farm labour contractor takes you to a worksite and then there is no work, the contractor must pay you for the longer of:

  • two hours, or
  • the time it takes to go from the starting point to the worksite and back (or to another place that’s a similar distance and acceptable to you).

If work is not available because of bad weather or another cause beyond the control of the contractor, you aren’t entitled to be paid.

No. A farm labour contractor must not charge a worker for hiring or obtaining work for that person.

No. An employer can’t require a worker to pay any portion of the employer’s cost of doing business. As well, an employer can’t deduct or offset a worker’s earnings except for statutory deductions required by law, or with the written authorization of the worker.

For more, see our in-depth info on your rights around getting paid as a farm worker.

Who can help

BC government logo, for use on cards such as Employment Standards Branch
Employment Standards Branch
Administers the law in BC that sets minimum standards for workers.
Call 1-800-663-3316Visit website

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in July 2022
  • Time to read: 2 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Richard Johnson, Ascent Employment Law and Amanda Aziz, Migrant Workers Centre

Richard Johnson, Ascent Employment Law
Amanda Aziz, Migrant Workers Centre

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.


On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Getting paid in the section on Work.

Copyright 2022 People's Law School

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.