HomeFamilies + ChildrenResolving family disputesApplying for an interim order in a family law case in Supreme Court

Applying for an interim order in a family law case in Supreme Court

Woman going through paperwork  and working on laptop

A person involved in a family law case may need to get a temporary court order — known as an interim order — to deal with short-term, important, or urgent issues. Learn the process for making an interim application in Supreme Court.

“My kids live with my spouse, Mikki, most of the time. We set it up that way because of my work schedule. But I changed jobs a few months ago. I want to see the kids more. Mikki doesn’t agree, so I filled out some paperwork and took it to Supreme Court, where our divorce case is. A friend of mine gave Mikki a copy of the court documents. She filed something in reply, and we’re going to court in a month.”

– Elias, Langley, BC

Middle aged man looking subdued.

What you should know

The steps in the application process

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in March 2020
  • Time to read: 7 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Shelagh Kinney, Watson Goepel

Shelagh Kinney, Watson Goepel

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.


On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Resolving family disputes in the section on Families + Children.

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.