HomeFamilies + ChildrenDivorce & separationRequirements for divorce and annulment

Requirements for divorce and annulment

Feature image - Requirements for divorce and annulment

A divorce is the legal process that ends a valid marriage. It’s different from an annulment, which is a court order declaring a marriage invalid. An order for a divorce or an annulment is granted only if certain requirements are met. Learn about the requirements to get a divorce or annulment.


This information has been updated to reflect changes to the Divorce Act that took effect on March 1, 2021, as well as new Provincial Court Family Rules that took effect on May 17, 2021. 

What you should know

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in April 2020
  • Time to read: 9 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Samantha de Wit, Brown Henderson Melbye

Samantha de Wit, Brown Henderson Melbye

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.

On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Divorce & separation in the section on Families + Children.