Operated by: People's Law School icon in SVG formatPeople's Law School

Suing someone in Small Claims Court

Feature image - Suing someone in Small Claims Court

To sue in Small Claims Court, you file a “notice of claim” in court, and then let the party you’re suing know about it. Learn the steps in the process.

What you should know

The steps in the process

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in August 2017
  • Time to read: 8 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Anna Kurt, Ganapathi Law Group

Anna Kurt, Ganapathi Law Group

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.

On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Small Claims Court in the section on Resolving disputes.