HomeCourts + CrimeCrimeCourts & policeCharging someone with a criminal offence

Charging someone with a criminal offence

Feature image - Charging someone with a criminal offence

Typically, for someone to be charged with a crime, the police must recommend charges and a prosecutor (called Crown counsel) must approve the charge. Learn what’s involved in the process.

What you should know

The steps in the process

Common questions

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in August 2017
  • Time to read: 6 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Maurizio Dattilo, Crown Counsel

Share this page

This information from People’s Law School explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. See our disclaimer.

On Dial-A-Law

Dial-A-Law has more information on Courts & police in the section on Crime.